After so many yrs, i finally face the fact that to be a sportsman, u need to be rich. Cos the apparels and equipments and diet u need to have doesn't come cheap. Now at the age of 23, I want to go into Triathlon, something which I've wanted for yrs, I realised I'm still stucked with the same old problem.. money..
To go into triathlon, it's expensive, firstly, swimming apparels, ard $80 for googles and trunks. Cycling, the tri bike itself is anywhere from $1500 onwards, that excludes the shoes, helmet, tri attire. and Running, running shoes itself.. This are the fix sunk cost that needs to go into it, before u can even start thinking abt joining the race. To reg for the race, e.g. OSIM tri, cost $120. For Half iron man, it's $350. Full Iron man it's $750. Just look at the cost.. How to take part or even train for it when u don't have the financial ability?
Looking back at myself, I've been struggling to come up with all the money I need to satisfy my desire and needs. Doing so for so many yrs is in fact a little tiring, cos the little bit of money that I earn, isnt' really enough in the first place. It has taught me to need to priortise and let go. Somethings are just not able to be achieve, u have to accept it..
Recently, with my sleepy eyes, walking out of my room, mum asked me where I'm going, I told her I'm going to earn money. She said so tired liao, still have to go arh, can change time? I replied, no choice.. cannot change, cos of reservist.. only on weekend. Cannot cancel liao.. She said, Haiz.. u make me feel guilty, haven't give u pocket money for so many yrs liao..
Well, it's something I've learnt to cope with, and I guess that's the least I could have done over the past few yrs. But definitely, I've given up lotsa things that my peers have. I've often asked myself, if I was given the opportunity and money to shine, where would I be now? that's a tough question to ans, but at least I would have hope to have been given the chance.
Looking back at the reservist period, I've met up with so many of my men, from all sorts of life, it makes me realise how much better i'm already in. There are somethings that we can't change, and we'll have to live with it. I've already gone past so much of it.. It's just a yr more before I begin my working life.. Much more challenges awaites me.. And I wonder what's up for me...
No comments:
Post a Comment