Monday, January 31, 2011

Begun my first Bahasa Indo lesson last week, and I'm revising it. It's a bit complicated, espsecially that it contradicts what English has taught us. A simple like this shows it all.

You're a clever boy.
Kamu anak pandai.

direct translation is :
Kamu = You
Anak = boy
Pandai = clever.

= You boy clever

In english, we use a adjective to describe a noun, thus we put it before the noun we are refering to.
In bahasa, it's opposite. the noun comes first, then you describe it.

In a simple sense like this, it's easy to read and understand. But when you try to form a sentence with it, or a conversation with it, it becomes very very tough since it's just not natural. The sentence structure is not what you've been using for the past 25 years. It's just like English and Mandarin.

Now I have one more to handle, and I was never good in language. Congrats... Either perish or thrive. I choose to thrive..

No comments: