Felt really ashamed of myself today. Really " chang2 kui1". I was on the way to teach tuition at Sengkang. When I alighted the MRT, I walked towards the lift. Normally I would not be bother about the lift and would have preferred the escalator or the stairs, but the LRT station was on the 3rd Level and the MRT was at B1. Thinking that I was rather lazy to change escalator 3 times, I decided to take the lift. As I was about to board the lift, I saw a wheel-chair bound passenger waiting patiently behind us. It immediately stroke me the initial reason of why the lift was built. I was really hesistant about boarding it, but the mad rush of people behind me left me no choice but to walk in. ( I was just beside the entrance of the lift, aka first in queue. ) I walked right into the lift and I couldn't take my eyes off the sad face of the disabled passenger. I stared at him until he disappear from my sight. The few questions that came to my mind
1. The lift was initial built to make public transport disabled- friendly.
2. Able bodied people like me, are taking the space of some one who needs it instead.
3. Nobody bother offering the man to come forward and take the lift first.
4. What type of " first class " society is this when we can't even offer help, or rather give the needy their deserved rights?
5. Singaporeans generally are just a selfish and inconsiderate bunch of people who couldn't care less about others.
Through this incident, I vow not to take the lift in the MRT or any other place when not really required to. Just a conscious effort is required to make the day of another person. Imagine I've gone over and offered him to take the lift first, don't think anybody would refuse to give space. ( I would scold them even if they don't allow him to board first ).
To make a better place it starts with individual and I'll make the difference in the community starting from myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment