Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Choices

Was talking to my cycling friends last night after our regular tuesday evening ride at Sempang Bedok. They were asking me what would I be doing, since I'm going for studies soon and whether I would be getting my road bike soon. When they found out that I was planning to stay in residence, the response was shocking. "what?!? how come... Stay at home larh... eat house sleep house " ( translation from chinese ) When they realise the expenses I would incur for 1 sem of staying in hall, abt, 1.5k on accomodation alone, they suggested to me that I would be better for me to take that money and buy my long wanted Road bike instead. Wahaha... Typical cycling siaoz..

Their reasoning was that, the amount is not necessary since the travelling time isn't exactly that long, ~1hr 15min. and since I've wanted a bike so much it would be better. Furthermore I could cycle to sch everyday, futher saving on transportation PLUS it'll be faster than taking train and bus.( Takes about an hour to reach NUS from my house on road bike ). To think of that, I realise what they were saying was true too. Staying in residence is not a neccessity. Many ppl choose to stay in hall for the freedom to stay away from parents, but I don't need that , Cos i'm already having total freedom at home and I'm prefectly happy living with my dear family. Only reason is because I prefer to study in school, and I should be taking up Bridge, with training hours at 7.30pm -10pm.

Results of the hall selection would be out next fri, 29th. By then would have a day to make up my decision. If they don't allocate one to me, don't even need to think, best. haha. Perhaps like what many ppl have been advicing me, to try out one sem and see how. That's true, and I understand why, but cash flow is a problem to me. having $1.5k more in the pocket is so much better, ( or perhaps on a bike.. lolx )

Was talking to Eason regarding the possibility of him signing on, and me too.. perhaps. It reminded me of something. There are just so many differences in the working world, working on the upper class in the society , like my ex-CO, a president scholar, super high flyer in the army, LTC grade 2 at age 32. earning in excess of $10,000. And I got a cycling fren who is working at a dog farm, earning $1-2 k a month. Whats the difference other than the more than 5 fold in salary? My Ex CO don't really like his job and wants to get out of it, but the pay scale is too difficult to ignore. My cycling fren, he's a dog lover, having 4 dogs at home and works at a dog farm where he totally enjoys himself. He's happy living simple, accompanied by the dogs. Which is better ? Earning a lot but don't enjoy it, but have the excess amount of money to buy whatever you want and be happy for the moment? or living simple, but feeling happy everyday at work, doing something that you like ? Tough question. But somehow we'll have to make a decision sometime. Option 1 or Option 2? or perhaps Option 3, Earn a lot of money and enjoy at the same time.... lolx...

* Upper class is termed as monthly earning in excess of >$8000.

Its 6 days to last day of work, 8 days to BBQ, 10 days left to departure, 29 days to QET, 47 days to Uni. hmm... everything seems to be coming a bit too fast for me handle. With so many things on hand. Can't seem to finish it.. need to Think fast, Act fast.

No comments: