Saturday, June 16, 2007

A missed opportunity

Went for Apheresis this morning, to donate platelet to Shu hui's dad. My first time going for apheresis, though I've donated whole blood for 14 times, since I was 17. It was a totally different experience from the normally donation. A much much longer process. I arrived at SGH at 9.30am, and started donation 10 mins later, ending only at 11.25am. Took about 1 1/2 hours, compared to the normal 10 mins full blood donation. Kinda curious about the machine, so asked a lot of question to the nurse. She was very helpful, patiently explaining all the different parts of the machine and how it works.

It drew a total of 282ml of platelets from 3013ml of my full blood, roughly 10% only. a total of 7 cycles, and each cycle last for about 15mins, ( drawing out blood, separating the differents cells using centrifugation and returning everything less platelets to my body. ) , explaining why it takes so long. Finally understood why they term it as a very special type of gift. Cos, there are tough criteria to meet before one is allowed to donate platelets.
1. Fit, and preferably male because the vein needs to be healthy and big, to allow for the long hours of transfusion. ( If vein too small/weak, it'll collapse ) . ( the most difficult to meet )
2. Have sufficient time to do so. ( lucky got TV to watch.. if not 90 mins sit there and rot )

The Apheresis room.

The Apheresis Machine.


Met up with 30SCE ppl after that in Town. Quite a lot of ppl turned up . Ervin, Samuel, Hui Chai, Yong Cheng, Ah Goo, Ah Hoe, Ah Lam, Kevin, Mengkit, Sam and odd one out Jason poh Turn up due to some miscommunication.. lolx.. Anyway, it was meant to meet up with Hui Chai, who just came back from Aust. Walked around Orchard for quite some time chit chatting and shopping around. Nice to meet up with them. It was them who made my army life so positive, fun and enjoyable. Its the people that makes the difference. Especially so when half of them who turned up are regulars. Made me seriously consider joining the forces.

Kinda wasted an opportunity just now. there was an abseiling at Ngee Ann city tower A, and I was hesistant to do it. Normally I would be the first to Chiong for it, but just now, I really couldn't decide. Firstly, The Be-Layers, stand off distance is a mere 3m, too near for my comfort. Secondly, my right wrist has been hurting for the past 1 week, not sure if it was able to take the strain. But after much thoughts, I still decided to go for it.. BUT... It was closed.. they just gave out the last Idemity form. Bohoo... Wasted opportunity. Shouldn't have thought so much. Anyway, Sam went for it and got this cert. Haiz... what a waste. don't know when will be the next time I ever have a chance to abseil down Taka. perhaps never again?

( Sam's Abseiling's Cert )


____________________________________________
Friday 150607 ...

My colleague Guo Yong just came back after 2 weeks of training. Just converted to a Perm staff. And he's been a really nice buddy at work for the past 7 months. Never fail to go to the pantry, lunch, " jia zua " together.. haha... Just come back for a day, before he goes to SERVE THE NATION. aka, reservist. So this may be the last time I would see him, at least for now, since I'm leaving the job in another 10 days. Would definitely miss him, with all the crap and his advices. A good listener as well.. Hmm...

No comments: