Just read about the news of a 17yr old RJC student collapsing just metres away from the finishing line after clocking a PB for the SEA games Triathlon time trial qualification. He was pronounced dead shortly. Cause of death is still undergoing investigation. More and more such cases has been happening lately, the previous case was a army Major who collapsed during the Singaopore biathlon. Its really scary to know what is happening. Who would have thought such athletes, who are considered to be very fit to pass out and die out of a sudden.
Cardiac failure is most likely the main cause of the death, but what causes it, don't think there's a concrete research or evidence. Heard some ppl saying that it happens more often in multi-discipline sports. More prevalent in Triathlon and biathlon, partly because of the Swim in the open seas. The constant waves gushing up at the swimmer, and occasionally taking in a few glurp of sea water, filling the lungs with some water. Making the lungs and hearts working extra hard to get it out. Secondly, the waves would cause our body to feel as if we are drowning, and in normal circumstances where you are experiencing drowning, your heart pumps super fast, trying to gasp for air. So I presume in such situation, where most athletes passed away, it may be due to this, result of a Cardiac failure. Cos for sure, they are trained athletes. Their Heart can't be that weak. should be a Heart attack that causes it to fail.
Really worries myself though. Trying to pick up the sports and I'm surrounded by such accidents. I know my mum is very worried too. Especially with all the news reported. But she knows that she can't stop me from doing it. On my part, I have to ensure her that I will take the safety precautions, but I don't know how to prevent such cardiac failures, when experts don't exactly know what is the cause of it. To make matters worst, I've experience previous chest pain before, e.g. the heart murmur in March. ( going to Cardiologist in July for a check up) And before that, in Yr2, experiencing extreme pain in the chest area due to over straining and fatigue, given excuse from exercise for 3 months.
I've wanted to fully focus in training for triathlon, firstly it's a personal aim and achievement. Secondly, if possible, to represent the state in competitions. Though that's a far-fetch dream. Guess main thing is to enjoy the sports while doing so. I enjoy the adrenaline rush when taking part in races, and the sense of fufilment when completing it. Doesn't matter whether I'm ranked, as long as I complete it, I'm happy. Marathon is another Fav.
However, due to financial constrains, I've never been able to fully take part/ train in any sports or hobby. Its just too costly to do so. To start off a reasonable training for Tri, proper gears and equipments are required. A tri bike , -$2000, tri suit - $200, running shoes - $150, miscellaneous etc. easily hitting $4000 or more with the training supplements, coach, training session, etc. Singapore is so called trying to encourage sports in Singaporeans, but they are not providing the platform to do so. Many ppl are unable to do so cos of this limitations. I've some friends who are doing quite well in sports, E.g. a national cyclist/runner. but when he tried to get sponsor to take part in a race, he couldn't get any. and its just too costly to take part as an individual. So in the end, he gave up on representing the state and take it as a leisure/ recreation.
Most of the athletes that appear on the screen as successful and medals winners come from well to do family. Reason being, since young they are able to afford the coach, the equipments and the fees for the training sessions. They are able to provide the financial aspect for the kids to be successful. Its left to the kids, whether they have the talent to be develop. To nuture the next generation, not only time and effort is required, $$ is a muz to a certain extent. If Singapore continue doing such thing, aka " talk about big dreams, but no support" There will never be a day when Singapore is place on the global screen as a small country that has a sports champ. Take a look at the World Cup 2010 dream. Its just not going to happen, with the support they are giving. The best players available, a lot of them come from the ITE, but are never discovered, cos they quit playing when they stop school and enter the workforce to meet ends meet. Playing as a S.League player also don't earn much. Unless you are a foreign player.
Whatever the case is, I'll just make do with my dear MTB and train for the triathlon and hopefully have sufficient money next year to change to a proper tri-bike. and work towards my aim of completing an Ironman race.
No comments:
Post a Comment