Friday, January 4, 2008

Thoughts on Travelling alone..

Honestly. I've never thought of travelling alone, until last July when I saw lone traveller in Laos and cambodia.. It was originally a scary thing to do or even think of. Doubt many people who want to do it either.. or perhaps dare to try it...


Made the decision to extend my trip to Delhi and Agra, to see the Taj.. I just wanted some time off from the hectic lifestyle here, plus , I enjoy scenary and seeing magnificent things. Taj Mahal was good enough to make me want to try it..


Obvious unhappiness arouse in the family, arguments started, questioning me why am I doing such a thing. Why don't get some friends along too ... Well . it was already in Oct. there wasn't much time to decide either.. Its very rare to be able to find people who are on the ball, ready to go for backpacking, and especially so, in INDIA, after a 16day YEP trip. Most of the friends that I approached, rejected the offer. All gave the same reply. " huh?!? of all places INDIA? anywhere else other than India, I'll consider. "

In the end, did my own research, and bought the tickets for the trip.. and there was no way back from then. Many ppl ask me, Travelling alone ? fun meh? Well.. you won't know the ans if you don't try isn't it ? So I tried.. and now, I'm able to answer that...

Frankly speaking, it was intimidating on the first day when I was alone in Delhi. Facing the swamp of touts screaming at you, trying to bring you to different places.. The feeling is just so different when you are in a foreign land. However, after overcoming the first day... It all went well.. The lessons learnt on the first day was " to trust no one, except myself " and I applied that throughout the trip..


As the days goes by, the loneliness kickes in... you realise that you have been alone for the past 4 to 5 days. no one to talk to.. no one to share your joy and sorrows... you are all alone by yourself.. How to overcome that ? Self Entertainment... It isn't that bad for me I guess.. Cos I'm a little used to it le.. And I mastered the art of self-entertainment. The ability to make myself happy and entertained is very important.. It keeps me occupied and jovial throughout the trip. I'm able to be happy with simple little things.. a happy go lucky sort..


The total freedom I get over there, is something hard to find. Waking up naturally in the morning, walking down the streets without any plans in mind, stopping at a random stall and have my breakfast. Instead of going to the tourist vested places, walked down a street, where you don't find any foreigners at all, seeing what the locals really do for their livelyhood. Its something that normally people won't get to see. and I really enjoy finding out more about their lifestyle.. It makes me appreciate life even more.. Definitely, I still pay a visit to those places of interest, but I take my time to enjoy the sights, and you actually need to talk more to the locals, to find out more about their own local places of interest. Its something that cannot be found from books or internet.


Taking photo was a problem. As you are the only one taking photos of yourself at times. A tripod is a must if you want yourself to be in the photo. If not, it'll only be scenary shots, or post-card type of photos. And the photography skills of the ppl cannot be trusted.. 90% of the time, it comes out horribly, That's why I resorted to positioning it myself using a tripod.



I enjoyed the time I spent there and it was fun for me. A totally new experience.. IF I'm asked whether I would want to travel alone again, I won't mind.. but would prefer to travel with someone that I can get along with..( Which is very important. )

I guess a few important attributes that is required to enjoy travelling is as such.
1. No motion sickness.. ( as there are lots n lots of transport required.. normally via public transport )
2. A strong stomach ( to allow you to try any food you want and not get down with diarrhoea. )
3. Vocal ( to be able to express yourself properly, be it a yes or no )
4. Common sense ( Lots of it is required.. duh.. )
5. Able to make quick decisions, ( as there are expected changes all the time. )
6. Adaptability.
7. Independent..

This are just some thoughts that has been in my mind.. haven't had had time to write it down till now.

No comments: