After 16 days with DAD 07, and 8 days backpacking alone in the Northern part of India, I've so much thoughts flowing through me..
The YEP trip was definitely an interesting experience for me. I've long wanted to go for an OCIP trip. The first I missed was sec 3, when I went to Vietnam for Educational tour instead, and yr 1, when I got to know about it too late.. Finally got to go for it..
Got to know about this trip through Fang.. They were in urgent need for male blood in their mostly female team. Can't imagine a YEP team without much guys in it. How will they suffer with all the labour intensive work. Taken for granted that the main focus for this trip was health care and education, they do not need so much manual labour.. still, I feel that in a team, there should be a healthy mix of gender, to provide the balance. In the end, 15girls, 6 guys were still acceptable.. Upon knowing about the trip, I took 2 days to decide, and within 4 days, I was in the team. Never regretted joining this team as it provided me with such an interesting and enriching experience.
Got to know more about the Pharmacy ppl.. a group of people where I would not get to interact with in the normal school life. The passion they showed in the health camp and health screening, make me understand why they chose to work in this path. It was really heartening to see the effort they put in, the care they show for the villagers. *thumbs up*. Guess this would be the only YEP trip that I join that focus on other things, rather than the usual manual work ( painting, building of blocks , etc ).
Over the 16 days there, I enjoyed teaching the Class of 10A, painted some of the classroom, and helped out in the health screening and camps. Most memorable would be the teaching of English to the students of Class 10A. They were really keen in learning and improving, to an extent that they will come over to find us after lesson to chat. Cos they know that language is something that you will need to practice. One of the kid, Chinne, His name will definitely stay with me for sometime.. Because he was the most Enthu student in the whole class.. very helpful too. Always keen on learning and improving.. AND he aspire to be an English teacher in the future.. WOhoo!!
Every new village I've seen is different. and the learning point in each trip is different too. Looking at the way they live, the way they are content with their simple lifes, make us city dwellers think why are we fighting so hard to survive in this ever progressing world. Only one common thing between the Villages are the people. Their mentality. They are kind and innocent. Something that doesn't change. This should be because of the things that they are exposed to. The innocence and the sincerity in the things they do makes so much difference when you are dealing with them. Sometimes it makes me feel much younger. And often, I drop my guards and immerse in their world.. relinquish the wild child within me.. The carefree feeling is something that we don't get in Singapore. And I really treasure those times..
The short 2.5 days of RnR is still vivid in my memories. That's where the COT really formed. So many fond memories were shared within that short time. The shopping spree we went on, the lunch that we had, the late night COT session.. really hope, the friendships will carry on far beyong the end of the trip..
Well.. that was a short summary of the experience of the DAD'07 ( dispense a dream ). Shall now recapture the top 5 pics for the trip..
Look at all their innocent and happy faces.
Fang, my good buddy.. =)
erm... alright.. that's 7, not 5.. so many nice photo to choose from.. Arhz.. well.. Life is all about choices.. I'll choose these 7 that I think are the nicest to me..
Thoughts on the one person back-packing trip will come shortly...
No comments:
Post a Comment